The first answer to the question of why the Windows update stuck at 27 is it will be pretty annoying, and later one starts wondering about the best possible solutions.
Updating Windows from time to time is essential for enabling your Windows operating system to function more efficiently. But commonly, one delays the updates most of the time as Windows update is stuck at 27 percent. You try to update Windows when you are not fixed with any urgent deal on your computer as you can’t do anything with your device while it’s updating. So, what could be the real reason behind this irritating error?
Table of Contents
Well, there can be multiple reasons behind this. Let’s switch to a solution to restart your updates quickly after understanding the causes:
Why does the Windows Update Stuck at 27 Percent?
It’s indeed a buzzing question with many probable answers. A list of reasons contributes to the Windows update being stuck. Not only Windows 10, but all Windows versions undergo this problem.
Windows update stuck at 27% happens majorly due to a software conflict. Even a predetermined problem stuck a Windows update. This type of predetermined problem reflects only during the up-gradation of the Windows. On the flip side, Microsoft can also be responsible for a glitch in Windows update, but that is rare.
How to Know if your Windows Update is Stuck?
Before knowing fixation, Windows users need to be sure that their Windows update is stuck. Updating Windows demands several minutes. One should not shut down the computer throughout the whole process, but if you notice nothing appearing on the screen for 3 hours after setting it for an update, be assured that your Windows update is stuck. Statistically, 3 hours is a reasonable time to wait before going to the fixation process.
How to Fix Windows Update Stuck at 27%?
Fix 1 – Restart the Computer
One of the most straightforward ways that fix this problem is by restarting your computer. All you need to do is press the On/Off button. Your computer will continue to update, and installing the update will become faster and smoother.
Fix 2 – Turn Off Antivirus
No matter what kind of software you have, be it the Windows Defender or any third-party software, you need to turn it off before installing the update because it causes Windows update stuck at 27 percent.
Follow these simple steps to turn off Windows Defender Firewall.
- Open the Windows Defender Firewall.
- Select ‘Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- A Customize Settings page will open. Select the ‘Turn off Windows Defender Firewall’
4. Press ‘Ok.’
Fix 3 – Hard Reboot
If it has been extended and you see no movement in your computer, a hard reboot is the best option to try. Hold the power button for 30 seconds. Then press it again to start your computer. This way is very effective when you face a Windows update stuck at 27 percent.
Fix 4 – Free Some Space
Freeing up space from the hard drive often solves the ‘Windows update stuck at 27%’ issue. Follow these steps below.
- In the search box, find ‘Control Panel.’
- Select ‘Programs and Features.
- Select the program that you desire to uninstall by a right-click.
4. After selecting, follow the on-screen process.
Fix 5 – Press Ctrl + Alt + Del
If the Windows update installation is stuck at any time, you can press Ctrl + Alt + Del simultaneously. It will open your login screen. Log in to your computer and see that your update is running smoothly.
Fix 6 – Windows Update Utility
Windows 10 allows you to see the Windows update page, which shows you something wrong with the update. Windows make this diagnosis, and it can direct you to install the update sometime later if there’s a problem. Follow these steps below to check this.
- Open the ‘Settings’ app.
- Click on ‘Update & Security.
- You will see if something is wrong with the update in this section.
Fix 7 – Launch in Safe Mode
Selecting the Safe Mode to start Windows is another great way of eliminating the chances of an update getting stuck. It is the Windows special diagnostic mode that will enable only loading the necessary services or drivers.
Fix 8 – Troubleshooter
Windows update troubleshooter checks and resolve any issues that may occur during the update installation. So it is one of the easiest ways to fix the Windows update stuck at 27 percent problem. To start with this feature, start with these simple steps –
- Open the troubleshooter settings by navigating the Windows search and typing ‘troubleshoot.’
2. Find the ‘get up and running option and then click on ‘Windows update.’
3. After that, press on ‘run the troubleshooter option.’
It is a secure and straightforward way to fix update issues of Windows. You should wait until the troubleshooter fixes the occurring problems and make your Windows update run smoothly.
Fix 9 – Delete Files from Software Distribution
If the problem persists with the troubleshooter, you need to get into the system settings. Creating a system backup is advisable before deleting files from software distribution.
1. Navigate the search and type ‘cmd,’ and then click on ‘open as administrator.’
2. Now, you need to enter two commands for stopping two Windows services – ‘Windows update service’ and ‘Background Intelligent Transfer Service.’ Type the command “net stop Wuauserv,” and after that, hit enter. Then type “net stop bits,” and again press enter.
3. After entering the commands and hitting the enter button, you need to delete files from software distribution. Enter the folder named
“C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution,” and from here, select all of the files and click ok delete. You should restart the PC and do this whole process again.
4. Now, you have deleted all the temporary files. So, restart the PC once again to see the Windows update. Hit on that and sit back to relax while the Windows update goes on.
Fix 10 – System Restore
System restore is ideal for fixing the problem of ‘Windows update stuck at 27%’. But do not try this as the first step. If none of the above methods works, go for this step.
1. Navigate the search and type ‘system restore.’ Open ‘create a system restore point’ to go to ‘system protection.’
2. Among the recommended restore points you will see, choose the suitable one for you.
3. Then restart your computer.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix a Windows 10 update?
For fixing an update issue, you can restart your PC. That’s the easiest way. If restarting does not help, go for Hard Reboot.
How do you tell if the Windows update is stuck?
If nothing appears on the screen after 3 hours of the commencement of the Windows update, it is stuck.
Why does Windows 10 Update stick at 27% happen?
It happens due to a software conflict or a predetermined issue only when an update installs.
Windows update is necessary to fix bugs, enable new and advanced features, and make your system runs faster. If Windows updates stuck at 27%, don’t worry much!
Remember, “Where there is a will, there is a way.” Try every recommended step to fix the update problem and make update installation fast and easy.