Amazon Firesticks have become one of the most popular media items you can find. You can plug them into just about any television and transform it into a smart television, which makes them a valuable item. But what happens when you can’t find the remote and you need to reset your Amazon Firestick? Fortunately, there’s no need to panic because there are plenty of ways to reset your Fire TV Stick without a remote.
Read on to learn everything you need to know about resetting your Amazon Firestick without a remote.
Yes, you can reset an Amazon Firestick without a remote. All you need is the Firestick companion app installed on one of your smartphone devices. This can also work on devices like a Mac or any other type of personal computer. Factory reset options are also available.
You can learn more about each method below.
The fastest way to reset your Amazon Firestick is to download the app on your smartphone. This works for Apple and Android devices. Follow the steps below to download the Firestick App and reset your Firestick.
- Download the Firestick App from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
- Connect your smartphone to the same WiFi that your Firestick is using.
- Open the Amazon Firestick App.
- Make your way to “Settings.”
- Find the setting that allows you to reset your Firestick to factory default.
Once you follow these steps, you’ll reset your Amazon Firestick.
Laptops are a great way to reset your Firestick, even if you don’t have the remote. Plus, it only takes a few minutes, and your Firestick should plug right into most laptops. You can reset an Amazon Firestick using a laptop by following the steps below:
- Plug the Amazon Firestick into your laptop using a USB cable.
- Download the Amazon Fire TV Stick app on your laptop.
- Open the Firestick App and select your Firestick device.
- Scroll through the app and look for “Settings.”
- Locate “Device” in your settings.
- Select “Reset to Factory Defaults.”
Once you follow these steps your Firestick will be reset.
The last way to reset your Amazon Firestick without a remote is to use an HDMI-CEI connection. To do so, you’ll have to start by enabling this setting on your TV. From there, follow the steps below:
- Connect your Firestick to an HDMI-CEC-supported HDMI port.
- Turn off the television and set it to the same input as your HDMI Firestick.
- Use your TV remote to navigate to “Settings.”
- Select “Device.”
- Choose “Reset to Factory Default.”
These steps can help you in a pinch, but they won’t always work depending on your television. You’ll also need a compatible remote, so make sure to come prepared if you plan on using this option.
An Amazon Firestick should be reset when you encounter issues with the device. You can also reset a Firestick to remove any apps or programs you have running that might be contributing to lag or slow load times.
The most common reasons to reset your Amazon Firestick include the following:
- Issues with your Firestick remote
- You can’t log into your Firestick
- You’re low on storage and unsure why
- The Firestick isn’t performing properly
- You’re having glitches with your apps
There’s nothing worse than a Firestick that needs to be reset. Thankfully, there are ways to prevent this problem from happening. The best way to do so is to use a VPN service to protect yourself and browse cleanly with your Firestick. We recommend downloading this Firestick VPN from NordVPN; you can click here to get started.
With Nord, you can protect your IP address with AES 256-bit encryption that protects your data, passwords, and devices from malicious intent or content. This ensures that you never have to worry about problems creeping into your Firestick and slowing it down.
Protecting your Firestick from hackers is important because Firesticks get hacked frequently. For example, one common hack back in 2018 was using someone’s Firestick to mine various cryptocurrencies.
You don’t need a remote to reset your Firestick. While it makes the process much easier, you can always use the companion app. Make sure you download the app from the Apple App Store, Google Play Store, or Amazon App Store.
Depending on the method you choose, the steps for each process might be different. As long as you follow our tips and leverage the right tools, you’ll have no problems resetting your Amazon Fire TV Stick without a remote.