While it’s true that Windows Updates keep your Windows PC safe, up-to-date, and performance-friendly, it is common to come across Windows Update errors once in a while. And many users have reported that they are coming across the Windows 10 error code 0x80070103. However, this error is not something you should be worried about.
You can fix the Windows 10 0x80070103 error in a few minutes with the proper steps. However, before we do it, we need to understand why the error occurs and what typically causes it. Shall we start?
Table of Contents
Potential Causes of Windows Error 80070103
For those who are unfamiliar with the error, the Windows 10 0x80070103 error occurs when you try to get your PC updated via Windows Updates. The message dialog normally asks you to try again later, as Windows is unable to install the updates now. Now, if you are wondering, here are the common reasons why the error happens.
- Windows Update might be trying to install a driver for the second time. As we said, Windows Update is not completely perfect, and it may mistake identical drivers for separate ones. In this case, the WU process will not go through properly.
- Third-party interference is also known to cause the Windows 10 0x80070103 error. For instance, your antivirus/firewall program may stop the computer from installing a particular hardware driver due to a variety of reasons.
- Last but not least, the driver that Windows Update is trying to install might already be present on the PC. In that case, the driver installation would not go through, and the PC will show you the Windows error 80070103.
Now that you know why you see the error, shall we check out the potential fixes?
Fix Error Code 0x80070103
Method #1 Use the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Did you know that Windows Update comes with a built-in troubleshooter? You can use this troubleshooter to fix the Windows 10 0x80070103 error and many other issues. The best part? You do not have to do much. The troubleshooter utility will automatically detect the problem and recommend the best solution.
To access the Windows Update Troubleshooter on your Mac,
- Go to the Start menu and choose Settings
- Go to the Updates & Security section from the Settings page
- From the sidebar, choose Troubleshoot
- On the upcoming page, click on ‘Additional troubleshooters.’
- A new window would come up, and you can click on the Run the troubleshooter button.
Make sure that you allow the troubleshooter to run properly. You may also need a stable internet connection so that Windows can download the necessary tools and software. Once the error is fixed, Windows Update will be able to install the drivers properly.
Method #2 Manually Install the Required Drivers
As we said earlier, you see the Windows 10 0x80070103 error when trying to update the drivers. If you keep seeing the error, you can decide to install these drivers without Windows Update. The steps you have to do are simple, but you should know the drivers you are dealing with.
As the first step, you have to understand the drivers that are causing the problem. Once you have done that,
- Open Device Manager from the Start menu Search
- Now, select and right-click on the device that you want to update.
- From the context menu, choose the option to automatically find new driver software
- Now, wait for Windows to find the proper drivers and install them
Once the process is done, you will get a notification from Windows. At that point, you can restart your PC to bring things to full effect. After this step, you can enjoy the device with new drivers.
Alternatively, you can download the driver software from the official sources of the manufacturer. In most cases, you can find the latest driver software from the manufacturer’s website. You can download and install them on your Windows PC in a few seconds.
Method #3 Download Updates Manually
Windows Update Catalog is a repository where you can find all the available Windows updates that can be downloaded and installed manually. You just need to know the KB number of the failed update. Here’s how to do it correctly.
- Type Update in Windows search and press Enter.
- Click View Update History.
- You will see the successful and failed update. Note down the failed KB number that returned 0x80070103 error.
- Go to Microsoft Update Catalog
- Paste the KB number in the search box and click Find.
- Select the appropriate version of the update and click Download
- Click on the .msu file link and install the update
- Restart your computer.
Method #4 Enable Clean Boot
It is possible that the software you have installed is causing the Windows 10 0x80070103 error. So, setting up a clean boot environment may solve the error. It means you have to remove all other apps from starting up when you boot the system. The steps you have to follow are:
- Go to Start menu search and search for System Configuration
- From the upcoming menu, go to the Services tab
- On the window, you can Hide all Microsoft services
- After this step, you have to click on the Disable all button
- Now, open Task Manager and go to the Startup tab
- Make sure that you have disabled all the Startup entries
- Now, come back to System configuration and select the Boot tab
- Under the Boot options section, check the Safe boot button and click on OK
After this point, you can restart your device and resume the update process. You should be able to get rid of the Windows 10 0x80070103 error in a jiffy.
Method #5 Reset Windows Update Components
- Go to Command Prompt
- Right-click and select Run as administrator
- If User Account Control shows up (UAC), click Yes
- Write the following commands and hit enter
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver ren C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\\Windows\\System32\\\\catroot2 Catroot2.old net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
Some Other Methods to Fix the Windows 10 0x80070103 Error
Here are some alternative methods you can try.
- As we said earlier, your antivirus/firewall software may be causing the Windows 10 0x80070103 error in the first place. So, it makes sense to retry the Windows Update process after disabling the antivirus program. Once you have updated the driver, you can turn the antivirus back on.
- If you face an error when trying to install a particular Windows Update, you can try to manually get the update installed. To do this, you have to go to Windows Updates, check out History and select an apt option.
- If nothing works and the issue continues, you can consider reinstalling Windows OS on your PC. We must warn you this step is the ultimate solution. And we don’t recommend this step if you have data on the device.
Rest assured, you won’t need extreme steps to fix the error. One of the three steps we have mentioned will be able to help.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does error 0x80070103 mean?
The Microsoft update error 80070103 means Windows Update is not able to install some particular drivers/apps on your Windows PC. You can fix this error through one of the methods we have mentioned here.
The Bottom Line
Do you know any other way to fix the Windows 10 0x80070103 error? Do let us know through comments. Meanwhile, you can try all the methods we have mentioned here. They are all safe, and you can get your PC into working condition soon.
Leave a comment
Have something to say about this article? Add your comment and start the discussion.