Do you have a PS4 controller that won’t turn on? Are you seeing an orange light instead of the familiar blue one? If so, don’t worry – you’re not alone.
If you are an avid PlayStation gamer, you definitely know that the PlayStation controllers flash a variety of colors, each of which represents a distinct scenario. However, you might not know about the PS4 controller orange light.
A lot of people are experiencing this issue, and there are a few ways to fix it. In this blog post, we will discuss some of the easiest ways to fix PS4 controller orange light issue.
Table of Contents
PS4 Controller Orange Light: What’s the Issue?
PS4 controller displays many different types of color light such as blue and red light. All these lights have different meanings. For example, the blue light means that the controller is paired with the console and is working properly. On the other hand, a red light on the controller indicates that low battery level. Similarly, an orange light blinking on a PS controller means that there is some sort of hardware issue with the controller.
There are a few reasons why your PS controller might be displaying an orange light instead of the blue one. The official reasons are:
- The DualShock PS4 Controller is in the rest mode.
- It also indicates that the controller is turned off while charging.
However, if these issues are not applicable to you, there could be more reasons for the PS4 controller orange light:
- It is possible that the cable that connects your console and controller might be broken or damaged.
- If your PS4 controller is connected to multiple devices, you’ll notice an orange light.
- This problem is also caused by changes you made to your controller and console settings.
- Apart from that, faulty USB connections and battery problems can also lead to PS4 controller orange light.
- Firmware issues can also be a reason for the PS controller’s orange light.
- If the PS4 controller’s button has malfunctioned, you might see an orange light.
Common Problems Associated with PS4 Orange Light
The PS4 Controller displays the orange light under various circumstances, here are the most common ones:
- PS4 Controller Orange Light Blinks Once: The most common problem associated with the PS controller’s orange light is that it blinks once and then turns off. This problem can be caused by a variety of factors such as damaged hardware, loose connection, or battery issues.
- PS4 Controller Orange Light Won’t Connect: If your controller is displaying the orange light and won’t connect to the console, it could be due to a number of reasons. It is possible that the controller’s battery is low, or there might be some sort of hardware issue.
- PS4 Controller Orange Light Turns On And Then Off: If on your Controller, the orange light keeps turning ON and OFF repeatedly, there might be a glitch that can be fixed by resetting the controller or replacing the cable.
- PS4 Controller Orange Light While Charging: While charging the controller, if you see an orange light instead of a white one, it means that the controller is turned off.
- PS4 Controller Orange Light PC: If you’re using a PS controller on your PC and it displays an orange light, it means that the controller is in the rest mode.
- PS4 Controller Orange Light Not Charging: There could be a problem with the controller or the cable if your controller is not charging and the orange light keeps blinking.
How to Fix PS4 Controller Orange Light?
1. Apply Basic Troubleshooters
1.1 Reboot your Console:
One of the most basic troubleshooting steps is to restart your console. This will help you fix any software-related issues with your PS controller.
To do this, simply turn off your PS console and unplug it from the power source. Now, wait for a few minutes and then plug it back in. Turn on the console and check if the problem is fixed.
1.2 Restart Your Controller:
If restarting your console doesn’t work, try restarting your controller to fix ps4 controller orange light. To do this, press and hold the PS button on your controller for a few seconds. This will turn off the controller. Now, press the PS button again to turn it back on. Check if the problem is fixed.
1.3 Check the Controller’s Battery:
If your ps4 controller glowing orange, it might be because of a dead battery. To check this, connect your controller to the PS console using a USB cable. If the orange light starts blinking, it means that your controller’s battery is low and needs to be charged.
1.4 Check Your USB Port:
If you are facing ps4 controller orange light, it might be because of a faulty USB port. To check this, connect your controller to the PS console using a different USB port. If the problem is still not fixed, try connecting your controller to a different PS console.
1.5 Tightly Plug The USB Cable:
If your ps4 controller glowing orange, it might be because the USB cable is not plugged in properly. To fix this, unplug the USB cable and then plug it back in. Make sure that the cable is plugged in tightly on both ends.
1.6 Replace your Dualshock 4 Cable
If the problem is still not fixed, try replacing your Dualshock controller’s cable. To do this, go to the official PlayStation website and order a new one. Once you receive it, connect it to your PS console and check if the problem is fixed. You can also use the Android device’s charging cable instead of purchasing a new cable altogether. If the light changes to blue color it means that the controller is now charging and the issue was with the cable.
2. Reset your Dualshock PS4 Controller
If the basic troubleshooting method doesn’t work, now you can try advanced ways to fix PS4 controller orange light. The most common one is to reset your PS4 controller. Every controller comes with a hidden reset button at the back.
Here are the steps to reset your Dualshock controller:
- On the back of your PS4 controller, check the reset button on the left side hole.
- Using a sharp object like a pin, press and hold the reset button for a least 3 seconds to reset the controller.
- Now after resetting the controller, reconnect it to the console using the cable.
- Press the PS button on the controller to turn it on and check if the orange light is still blinking.
3. Restart PS4 Console in Safe Mode
If the problem of the PS4 controller solid orange light is still not fixed, you can try restarting your PS console in safe mode. Occasionally, a few bugs may sneak into the system, causing the PS4 controller to flash red. These little problems can be fixed by restarting the PS4 in safe mode. Restarting in Safe Mode will help you fix most of the technical issues with your console.
Here is how to restart the PS4 console in Safe Mode:
- Turn off your PS console by pressing and holding down the power button for about 30 seconds and then unplug it from the power source.
- Now reconnect the console to the power source and press and hold the power button for at least seven seconds until you hear two beeps.
- Connect the DualShock 4 controller with the USB cable and press the PS button.
- On your TV screen, you will see different options, choose Restart PS4 under the Safe Mode menu.
- Once your PlayStation starts in Safe Mode, connect to the internet and see if the problem is solved.
4. Reset Your PlayStation 4 Console
If resetting the controller and restarting the PS4 console in Safe Mode didn’t work, you can try factory resetting your PlayStation console. This will delete all the data from your PS and you will have to start afresh. But it might fix ps4 controller solid orange light issue as well.
Before factory resetting the PlayStation, it is best to take a backup if you don’t want to lose your games.
Here is how to reset the PS4 console:
- On your PlayStation screen, choose Settings.
- Under PS4 settings, move to the bottom and select Initialization.
- Now under Initialization, choose Initialize PS4.
- Choose how you want to reset – Quick or Full.
- On the next screen select Yes on the warning message.
- Your PS will start restarting. If you have chosen the Full reset option, the PS4 will be restarted several times.
5. Unplug Controller From Other Devices
If you are using your PS controller on other devices like your PC or phone, it might cause the ps4 controller glowing orange light. This is because the controller is trying to connect to those devices. To fix this, unplug the controller from all other devices and then try connecting it to the PS console.
6. Clean the Controller
Another thing you can try is cleaning your controller. If there is any dirt or grease on the controller, it might be causing the issue. To clean your controller, you will need a can of compressed air and a soft cloth.
- Start by taking off the back panel of your controller. You will see the circuit board and different parts of the controller.
- Now using the can of compressed air, blow off all the dirt from different parts of the controller.
- After that take a soft cloth and wipe down all the parts of the controller.
- Put back the back panel and try connecting your controller to see if the orange light is stopped.
One of the simplest solutions to this problem is to press the PS button repeatedly. Many users have reported that this has helped the controller connect to the console and stop the orange light blinking.
You have to press the PS button in a particular manner:
- Turn off your PS4 controller.
- Using the charging cable, connect the DualShock controller to the console.
- Now turn on your PS4 console and with till you see the “Press the PS button to use the controller” message on the screen.
- Turn off your controller by pressing and holding the power button.
- Next, turn on the PS4 console again.
- It will display the same message again on the screen.
- Now carefully unplug the cable from the USB port.
- After a few seconds, you have to plug the cable into the controller and repeatedly press the PS button.
By following the above steps, the PS4 controller orange light must be stopped and you should see the solid blue light which means the controller is connected successfully.
8. Contact Official Support
If you have tried all the above methods and none of them worked for you, then the only thing left to do is to contact official support.
You can either visit the PlayStation support website or call customer support. They will help you with your problem and might also replace your controller if it is faulty.
Tips To Avoid PS4 Controller Orange Light
Here are some tips that will help you avoid this problem in the future:
- Do not use your controller on other devices like your PC or phone while connected to PS4.
- Do not keep your controller near any heat source.
- Clean your controller regularly to avoid dirt and grease build-up.
- Avoid dropping or hitting your controller as it can damage the internal parts.
- Regularly Check The USB Cables And Clean The USB Ports To Use The Controller Without Any Problems.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does the PS4 controller orange light signal?
Officially, the orange light indicates that the DualShock PS4 Controller is in the rest mode. However, many PS users have reported that the controller starts glowing orange even when it is not in rest mode and they are unable to use it.
Why is the PS4 controller blinking orange/yellow light?
If the PS button is blinking yellow, it means that the controller is not connecting to the PS console. This can be caused by several reasons like a faulty USB cable, dirt on the controller, or a problem with the controller itself.
These are a few things that you can do to try and fix PS4 controller orange light. We have outlined some of the easiest ways for you below. If these solutions do not work, then there may be something wrong with your controller and you will need to replace it.
We hope that this article was helpful and that you were able to fix the PS orange light on your controller. If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to leave them in the section below.
Leave a comment
Have something to say about this article? Add your comment and start the discussion.