I was eager to play Minecraft on my PS4, but I wondered, “Is Minecraft free on PS4?” I bet you wondered as well since you’re here.
As a passionate gamer myself, I know the feeling of wanting to try the game without having to pay for the full version just yet. Spoiler alert: you can get and download Minecraft for free! Read along to know what I mean.
Is Minecraft Free on PS4?
Yes, you can download the demo version of Minecraft on PS4 for free. Mojang has developed a free game version for PS4 users. However, you won’t be able to save your gameplay. Once you relaunch the game, you won’t be able to continue your endeavors.
To save your progress, choose a game edition you want to play on your PS4 and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the purchase.
How to Get Minecraft for Free on PS4
Before diving into the steps of downloading Minecraft on PS4 for free, it’s best to understand how the Mojang game works.
Minecraft is a popular sandbox game that allows users to build anything using cubes.
You will also find elements of adventure while exploring the game world for necessary materials. You have to survive by defeating your opponents and building your projects.
As mentioned earlier, Mojang has decided to provide a demo version of the game to PS4 users. That way, you can experience the thrill of playing Minecraft without investing money. But remember, you won’t be able to save the progress. If you relaunch the game, you won’t be able to explore the game world anymore.
So, without further ado, let’s look into how to get Minecraft for free on PS4 in a simple and legal way. Minecraft is a paid game, but you can download the demo version and play it for free on PS4.
Follow the steps below to install Minecraft on PS4 for free.
1. Connect Your PlayStation 4 to the Internet
To download Minecraft on your PS4, connect your PS4 system to the internet.
- Go to Settings > Network and then Set Up Internet Connection.
- Now, follow the on-screen prompts to set up network settings.
An Ethernet (LAN) Cable Connection
- Go to Use a LAN Cable > Easy.
- Now, follow the next prompt and set the connection to automatic.
Using a Wi-Fi Connection
- Go to “Use Wi-Fi > Easy.”
- Now, click on your Wi-Fi network and configure the connection settings.
If you don’t find the Wi-Fi connection you want to use, try the Set Up Manually option and then configure the internet settings.
2. Open the PSN and Create an Account
After connecting your PS4 to the internet, log into your PSN account, which allows you to access all Song online services.
If you don’t have a PlayStation Network account, follow the steps below to create one.
- Open the Settings.
- Go to Account Management/PlayStation Network.
- Click on “New to PlayStation Network? Create an Account.“
Now, follow the next prompt to create a new PSN account.
3. Subscribe to PS Plus Member
PlayStation Plus is a subscription service offered by PSN. The PlayStation Plus membership allows you to play selected content with your friends in a multiplayer mode without any usage or time restrictions, along with other special perks.
The membership allows you to back up your game progress to online storage. Here’s how to buy the PS Plus membership.
- Open the PlayStation Plus option.
- Click on Join PlayStation Plus on the screen and buy the subscription plan.
The PS Plus membership service will automatically renew after the end of the subscription plan unless you cancel it manually.
4. Download the Free Version of Minecraft on PS4
Once you buy the PlayStation Plus membership, you can download the free version of Minecraft for PS4.
Is Minecraft free on PS4? Yes, you can download the free version of Minecraft on PS4.
Follow the steps below to install the free Minecraft demo on your PS4.
- Go to the PlayStation Store on your console.
- Click on the Search option and type in “Minecraft.”
- Now, scroll over to Minecraft: PS4 Edition and press the X button on your controller.
- After that, click on the Free Trial button, and it will start downloading the demo version of Minecraft.
Once downloaded, launch Minecraft from the home screen of your PS4.
5. Purchase the Full Minecraft Version on PS4
After playing the demo version of the game, you finally decided to purchase the whole Minecraft for PS4 Edition, but you don’t know how to do it.
Don’t worry. We’ve got you covered. Here’s how.
- Go to the PlayStation Store and click on the Search bar.
- Type Minecraft into the search bar.
- Click on Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition from the search results.
- Press the X button on your controller and select the Edition you want to purchase.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and provide payment details (ex., debit/credit card or PayPal) to complete the transaction.
If you notice the price of Minecraft PS4 Edition is quite high, you can search for discount coupons available online, applicable only to the boxed edition of the game.
What Is the Latest Version of Minecraft on PS4?
Mojang has announced the latest Minecraft update for PS4, Xbox One, and PC players. This latest Minecraft 2.44 patch note includes features like locate biome command capabilities, allay duplications, and tons of other improvements. Users can download the Bedrock Edition on PS4 for free, but they cannot transfer all DLCs.
How Much Does a PlayStation Plus Membership Cost Per Year?
A year of PlayStation Plus membership will cost $49.99. This fee will be deducted from your account on an annual basis.
You can choose between different subscription plans. If you pay for a 12-month plan, you will save 50% compared to a 1-month subscription. However, if you consider paying for a 3-month subscription plan, you will save 40% on quarterly payments.
You can cancel the subscription at any moment, and it will end after the last day of the month. Then, you won’t have to pay for future subscription plans, but remember, there’s no refund for the months you already paid for.
Compare Features and Platforms
- Includes DLC skins and packs
- It supports four players locally and eight players online
- Texture, skin, and mash-up packs from the Minecraft community
- Supports split-screen couch co-op
- Cross-platform support for up to eight players across PS4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X, iOS tablets and phones, Android devices, virtual reality platforms, and Windows 10 PCs
- Compatible with PlayStation VR
Is Minecraft PS4 Edition Compatible With PS5?
Yes, the Minecraft PS4 Edition is playable on PS5 since there is no specific PS5 version of the game.
Minecraft: PS4 Edition is compatible with PS5. You can buy and download the game through the PS store. It functions similarly to how it works on PS4 consoles. You can also play the game using PlayStation VR.
How to Play Minecraft PS4 on PlayStation 5?
If you intend to play Minecraft on PS5, ensure your console is updated with the latest software.
Sony has already mentioned that some of the PS4 features might not be accessible on the PS5 due to backward compatibility.
Here’s how to download and play the Minecraft PS4 version on the PS5:
- Insert a PS4 game disc into your console.
- Transfer the digital copy of Minecraft to your PS5 through the PS4 using Wi-Fi.
- Now, download and install the game on your PS5.
Once installed, you can play the Minecraft PS4 version on the PS5 with these settings.
Can I Play Minecraft on PC if I Purchase the PS4 Edition?
You can’t, as you bought Minecraft PS4 Edition, which works on a different console and account.
If you want to play Minecraft on your PC, you must purchase the game using your Xbox account. Once purchased, you can play Minecraft on any platform that supports Xbox apps.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Does Minecraft Cost on PS4?
The cost of Minecraft on PS4 is priced at $19.99.
Can You Get Minecraft on a PS4?
Mojang has created a free version of Minecraft for PlayStation users. However, users can’t save the progress of their gameplay. Once they relaunch the game, you won’t be able to continue the adventure.
Is Minecraft Free With PlayStation Plus?
Yes, you can download the demo version of Minecraft if you have a PlayStation Plus membership. It will allow you to engage with the world of the Mojang title.
How Can I Play Minecraft Online for Free on PS4?
Here’s how to get Minecraft for free on PS4.
> First, connect your PlayStation 4 to the internet.
> Open the PS network and sign into your account.
> Get the PS Plus membership.
> After that, search Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition and click on it.
> Choose your game edition and press X to buy it.
The Bottom Line
Is Minecraft free on PS4? Yes, Mojang has developed a free demo version of the game. You can download it by following the steps below.
- Connect your PlayStation 4 to the internet
- An Ethernet (LAN) Cable Connection
- Using a Wi-Fi Connection
- Open the PSN and Create an Account
- Subscribe to PS Plus Member
- Download the Free Version of Minecraft on PS4
- Purchase the full Minecraft Version on PS4
Hopefully, this guide helped you download Minecraft on PS4 for free. Explore the Minecraft world in survival mode or create your own with unlimited resources in creative mode. If you want to know more about Minecraft or PlayStation 4, feel free to ask in the comments below!
Leave a comment
Have something to say about this article? Add your comment and start the discussion.